The history of Detroit Diesel began in 1938. It was then that within the well-known corporation General Motors, a division for the production of diesel engines "Diesel Division" was formed.
Compact diesel engines GM Diesel were actively used on landing ships, tanks and on standby generators during the Second World War.
In 1965 there were significant changes. The GM Diesel Division was transformed into the Detroit Diesel Engine Division. And in five years, in connection with the merger with the American manufacturer Allison Division, which produces gas turbines and transmissions, a company called Detroit Diesel Allison Division appeared.