DD Platform Medium Duty DDC SVC MAN An engine certification label is attached to the engine rocker cover. This label certifies that the engine conforms to federal and state emissions regulations for its application. It gives the operating conditions under which certification was made.
DD Platform Manual books If the engine operating temperature is below 60°C (140°F), the engine must be on a level surface and then shut down for 60 minutes for an accurate oil level reading. Otherwise, the engine must be brought up to an operating temperature of 60°C (140°F), parked on a level surface and then shut down for 20 minutes for an accurate oil level reading.
Engine Model and Serial Number Designation The following information covers the DD5 engine model number, serial number and certification label. Engine Model and Serial Number The fourteen-digit engine model and manufacturing serial number is etched on a pad located on the left front of the engine cylinder block, above the date and time of manufacture. Using 934913C0043228 as an example:
- 934 = engine model (Medium Duty 4-cyl, for MDEG NAFTA = DD5)
- 913 = application/high level identifier
- C = assembly plant (C for Mannheim, S for Detroit)
- 0043228 = serial number
Check the cooling system as follows:
- Make sure all drain cocks in the cooling system are installed (drain cocks are often removed for shipping) and are closed tightly.
- Fill the coolant overflow surge tank with DetroitTM Genuine Coolant until coolant level stays between the low and full coolant marks on the tank.
- Entrapped air must be purged after filling the cooling system. To do this, allow the engine to warm up with the pressure cap removed. With the transmission in neutral, increase engine speed to 1000 rpm and add coolant to the surge tank as required.
- Check to make sure the front of the radiator and charge air cooler (if equipped) are unblocked and free of debris.
Detroit Diesel DD Platform Medium Duty DDC SVC MAN For Free